Sunday, December 12, 2010

Day 165: To Recognize A Wonderful Man

Today is the birthday of my grandfather, Warren Julian Zimmerman. He passed away a year and a half ago. He was one of the defining role models in my life, and I can never be thankful enough for the fact that he loved me as much as he did, and was there to help shape the better parts of my character. You're missed Grampa. I love you.




The hecticness of the post-election protests has died down some. Today was the first full day where we here at All Hands have been let out of lockdown. We had been in lockdown for four days. It'll start to wear on you. Yesterday, Will, a great volunteer that sadly left today to go back to Canada, organized the All Hands Lockdown Olympics in an attempt to boost morale and give us something to do. It worked. We broke all the volunteers that wanted to be in the Games into teams of three, ten total, and had a bunch of different activities we competed in. There was juggling, a ridiculous relay race in the JLB (Joint Logistics Base - a big space attached to the back of the base), tightrope walking, effective use of pick-up lines in a foreign language (in this case, Mandarin & Spanish), wife carrying, etc. My team, Team 9, was a powerhouse. We won silver. I'll post some pics of the shennanigans once I have them. Unfortunately, it looks like my camera has been either lost or stolen, so I have to rely on other people to get photos from here on out.

Mellow right now. Listen to Kruder & Dorfmeister's DJ Kicks album. Loving the current track, To Ulrike M. Has a flamenco-esque guitar over the beats. I've always liked that sound.

To be continued, heading over to Michael's house to take a much needed dip in the pool.

I love you Gramma. Thinking about you and Trudy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment